Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

All I Really Need to Know I Learned From Beastie Boys Lyrics

Many times in highschool, I might have died, wandering the streets of Midtown Manhattan at two in the morning, had it not been for B-Boys Makin' With the Freak Freak. A rookie from Long Island, too drunk to ask for directions, I would remember these words:

"I get my hair cut correct like Anthony Mason
Then I ride the i.r.t. right up to penn station
Penn station up on 8th ave.
Listen all y'all you get the ball bath"

Then I'd make a one-eighty from heading towards the river and make it to Penn Station just in time to catch the 3:49.

More Words of Beastie Wisdom:

Setting realistic goals and acheiving them:

"Setting My Sights And You Know What I'm After
I'll Be In The Paper, The News With Ernie Ernesto
They'll Even Print My Recipe For Pasta With Pesto"

Integrity:

"I might stick around or I might be a fad
But I wont show my song on no TV ad"


Devastating Fashion Sense:

"With the white sassoons and the looks that kill
Makin' love in the back of my Coupe De Ville"


Proper Diet:

"Heart Attack, Heart Attack Man
Spend All Your Money On Your Health Insurance Plan
Heart Attack, Heart Attack Man
Keep On Getting Bigger Because You Know That You Can"


Respect for elders:

"Like Harlem World Battles On The Zulu Beat Show
It's Kool Moe D Vs. Busy Bee There's One You Should Know"


Questioning Authority:

"I'm the king of the classroom - coolin' in the back
My teacher had beef so I gave her a smack"


Philosophy:

"Which came first the chicken or the egg
I egged the chicken then I ate his leg"


Good Manners:

What's Gonna Set You Free
Look Inside And You'll See
When You've Got So Much To Say
It's Called Gratitude, And That's Right

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Ahh, Nice Jewish Boy rappers. They are so helpful and smart. And they love their mothers. Gotta love it.

Lisa

1:50 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I'm currently looking for some Beastie lyrics about their mothers. I'm sure they have some lovely ones.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

oh man, if you find a song, i will play it for my son. i am sooooooo sick of Rubber Duckie You're The One.

How did you like growing up in/near NYC? I have always wanted to live there, but am worried about doing so with a small kid.

Lisa

5:26 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Rubber Duckie Your the One is a Classic!

That's funny though. Whenever my friends from the south come up here, they're about 70% sure that they'll be mugged at some point. It takes some coercing to get them on a subway at all. New York in the eighties was scuzzier. It's great now.

I grew up in the candy ass suburbs anyway. I would just go into the city for concerts and bars and such.

You live in DC right? Florida?

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?