Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Friday, July 14, 2006

All Good Slang Must Pass

According to a friend of mine, I am, single handedly, trying to bring back the word "sike".

Nonsense! I tell him.

I mean, I know the word itself is nearly twenty years out of date, and over a decade past being appropriate for parody, but there is no way that my minimal--and tasteful--use of sike could be construed as an attempt to bring it back. Fuck me where I stand if I use the word sike more than once a month in casual conversation!

And yes, I use it consciously. When someone is walking away from a barbecue, stressing about the height of the flame and harshing the general vibe of the party, and I casually point out, "burger's on fire", when it's not, and they turn to look; what else am I supposed to say? "Just Kidding"? No, "Just Kidding" would earn me a spatula across the mouth.

Words die, I realize this, but it never hurts to keep a few solid ones in your back pocket for just the right situations.

And if you ask me, a *good guitar solo is, and always will be, "Bitchin'". End of story.




*Dinosaur Jr. version of Just Like Heaven

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

I say awesome so much that I pretend to be saying it ironically. but between us, I just think the word awesome is awesome.

Lisa

6:27 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Oh yeah, awesome is a classic. I believe it's in the running to be in the same realm as "cool".

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?