Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Shellshocked: baldness and the male psyche

Apparently there are certain E.D. drugs on the market which come with the diabolical side effect of causing baldness. If this is true, then these drug companies have a wonderful sense of humor. They know full well that going back to Samson in the old testament, a full head of hair has been linked to sexual prowess. James Dean, Cary Grant, Elvis, Patrick Duffy--all men with mighty quaffs! On the bald side--Sean Connery. I'll give you Sean Connery.

But he's interesting. James Bond himself lost his hair? But that's just it!You never saw Sean Connery actually loosing his hair. He was Bond one day, then he was shock white, with a beard in Hunt for Red October (dope flick) the next. By the time he became the pissy old Irishman in The Untouchables with a horse shoe of distinguished grey, there was no telling what the real Connery looked like anymore. But it's the gradual, and public, transition into baldness that throws some men into such irrational states where they can conceivably opt for hair over a functioning libido.

Surely everybody's favorite Bond, even in the throes of hair loss, never failed to rise to the occassion but that's not to say he never felt the pressure. I gaurantee there was a moment when a team of publicists had talk Sean Connery out of hair plugs: "But Sean, you're British! We don't do such things to our bodies!"




We've all seen the lengths that men will go to when faced with gradual but inevitable hair loss. What man in his right mind leaves a braided pony-tail hanging off his shiny, bald skull? While baldness has been shown to indicate high testoterone levels, studies are still ongoing about it's effect on brain functions.

*Lisa from the fabulous blog womenhavingitall
, who stated in a previous comment that women, "don't care about baldness" prompted me to write this post.

I'd like to ask her:

Did you feel the same before you got married?

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Great post! Very funny. Actually, my husband was slightly balding when we were dating, now that I think about it. I thought it was cute.
It's all about the whole package.

Those drug companies do have a good sense of humor.

Lisa

5:47 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

"Cute" huh? But you were in love. That doesn't count.

If I ever start loosing my hair I'm going straight to Yule Brenner mode, that's all I know.

Glad you enjoyed the post Lisa.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

I did. I loved the post. Yule Brenner is awesome. Verrrrry manly. Good call.

Lisa

9:52 AM  
Blogger anne altman said...

yes, don't f with hair appliques.

i was mad about a balding guy.

mad he was losing his hair!

kidding. he was/is very sexy. but he has to keep it shaved/short otherwise he looks like he's kidding himself.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

He's a rare one Anne. My favorites are the guys who unconciously compensate by growing beards. I swear they don't even know they're doing it.

*-I better knock on wood with all this bald guy bashing. I'm thinning a little myself!

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?