Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Bare Formula of Ritual

I caught a few minutes of a PBS documentary last night that focused on a Japanese holiday where an entire community stops for something like a weekend to celebrate in honor of the dead. They make and wear special clothes, prepare special meals, sing and dance, and decorate graveyards and lakes with all manner of beautiful handmade paper crafts. It has the sensory overload of Christmas and the individual expression of Halloween. As a middle-of-the-road American it's hard to watch this kind of thing and not feel somewhat jealous.

About a year ago I read some books that managed to totally dislodge whatever remnants of mother church that may have lingered in my beleif system and I became a staunch Atheist. I grew up Catholic, went to Church on Sundays, understood none of it. I didn't bother the priests and the priests didn't try to blow me. Phew! When I got to college I took some philosophy and world religion classes. I went the Joseph Campbel/comparative religion route while managing to remain objective and critical. But I could never pray. I figured only seriously wise or seriously crazy people were able to pray with any real conviction.

Anyway, long story short, I really love Christmas. I love the rituals. I love the sight, sound, smell, touch and presents by the fucking boatload of Christmas! Is it ok to celebrate a holiday that I don't beleive in? I don't know. There are no Atheist handbooks that I know of to help me.

One of the last shots in the Japan documentary is of these paper boats the people make for their dead relatives and loved ones. Some are very simple and some quite elaborate, but they are all highly personalized. They set various items associated with the person they're honering in the boat, set the boat on fire and push it out into the water. Supposedly water is symbolic of the afterlife. I think it's a gorgeous ceremony. Though I reject notions of a literal afterlife I certainly think a metaphorical one should be acknowledged and celebrated somehow. I wonder if I could hijack this ritual for when I die? A long long long time from now.

That's one hell of a gravestone. Wish it were mine.

--Royal Tennenbaum

5 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

I get why you're jealous, of the holiday and the ceremony, it sounds wonderful. I'm sending you a paper boat for Christmas. There's nothing wrong with loving Christmas no matter the reason.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

That IS a really a beautiful ritual. Do you remember what the documentary was called? I would love to see it.

I am jealous of it too. We should start it here.

I think it's great you love Christmas and I do think it can mean to you any number of beautiful things --family, traditions, kindness, gingerbread lattes from starbucks, etc without your having to be strictly religious.

I love Christmas too! I love Christmas parties, cookies, that people are nice and cheerful and fly home to visit their families. etc.

I kind of feel the same way you do about religion. I am Jewish but, I'm only in it for the food and the comedy. I celebrate the Jewish holidays in my own way, and then I'll wake up the next morning and have bacon with my brunch. Eh, go figure?

Lisa

2:54 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Dale-I hope my Tiny Paper Christmas Boat can brave the Atlantic all the way from Canada. Yeah, I'm all about Christmas now but what about if I have kids? Will they notice if there's no nativity scene under our tree? It's already under so much tinsel and everything as it is.

Lisa-I don't know the name of the documentary. The bittersweet thing about America is that it's such a young and varied place. These Japanese rituals might be old as the pyramids.

Jewish comedy is like the railroads, baseball and...someone needs to tell ken Burns to get on that for a documentary.

Does going to the movies on Christmas day make me 1/365th Jewish?

12:41 PM  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

It does make you an honorary Jew to go to the movies on Christmas, with bonus points for eating Chinese food that day as well.

We always go to NYC for Christmas and eat a lot of deli food. I looove to go to the tree at Rockefeller Center, and to look at the window displays and smell honeyroasted nuts in the air while I watch iceskaters.

I can't wait!

Lisa

3:24 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

How lovely, Daydreamer. I'll have to keep an eye out for this doc.

Glad that you're posting again, BTW. I need to re-blogroll you.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?