Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Wiffle Ball

From me to you: The next time you find yourself playing a throw-away game of wiffle ball--the only kind there is--find a newspaper, fold it up and tuck it under your shirt. When it's your turn to play outfield, find that person on the other team who is just begging to get heckled. When they come up to bat, pull out the newspaper, unfold it all the way, and just stand there reading. You wont regret it.

Before this afternoon, the last time I can remember playing a game of wiffle ball is...never. The last time I can remember even throwing a ball of any kind has to be over five years ago. But I was a pitcher as a kid. Before the ninth grade--when kids hit puberty and the gap between real athletes and the rest of us becomes too obvious to ignore--I was a better than average baseball player. I know because my mommy told me. So, of course, today I had to announce my return to the mound with five straight innings of throwing out my arm, and everything else too.

It hasn't fully hit me yet, but I know that aches and pains in every muscle on my upper body are planning me a proper wake-up call. It's just not fair. Shoulder pain? A sore tricep? Sure. I can understand that. But my lower back?...And why do my knees feel like they belong to a sixty year-old dock worker?

Since my thirtieth birthday, I have found occassions upon which I feel truly indestructible an ever dwindling commodity.

6 Comments:

Blogger barista brat said...

what is wiffle ball?

11:31 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Huh?

Wiffle ball is the internationally recognized, plastic version of baseball! You play it at barbecues and stuff.

There's a skinny yellow bat?

I guess it's kind of old now.

7:05 AM  
Blogger barista brat said...

oh, haha!

i've only ever known it as "baseball with a plastic ball and bat". i didn't know it had a proper name.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

i loved wiffle ball. i liked to hook my finger through one of the holes and unbend it in the throw for extra momentum.

I hear ya. I have this whole neck shoulder blade upper back thing that periodically goes haywire. I did it to myself with aggressive yoga. The irony was that every time somebody saw me with a bag of frozen peas on my neck they'd say, "oh you have neck problems, you should take up yoga."

Primal scream here.

Lisa

3:44 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Jeeze, that's like getting a cavity from over brushing. "aggressive yoga"? I had no idea that was possible! Aren't you suposed to get "centered" and all that jazz?

I knew I wasn't crazy. It's called wiffle ball everywhere, right? Barista Brat must be a communist.

;)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Communism is the only plausible explanation for lack of wiffle ball awareness.

Yes,I have the wrong personality type for yoga.

Lisa

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?