Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Real life scary stories

The NPR show This American Life is requesting listeners to call in with "real life scary stories" to be played on their special Halloween broadcast. I've been wracking my brain to come up with one. I've thought of a few scary instances like skydiving for the first and ONLY time, or when my cousin dangled me over the staircase railing 'till I "learned not to cry". But due to the total absence of the supernatural in my experiences I have no real scary stories to speak of.

There is one story I have of being so frightened that there might as well have been a supernatural component involved. I was in the fourth or fifth grade, home sick from school. Both my parents worked, so I had the house to myself. It was awesome. I got up just when my mom was leaving for work. She left, and I made some pancakes and hit the basement couch for a good eight hours of unencumbered television bliss.

I watched cartoons 'till eleven when The Price is Right came on. When it was over I found myself hard pressed to find anything other than talk shows or deranged soap operas to watch. So I got down from the couch and began switching channels with the giant knob on the tv. I eventually found something that looked grainy, like saturday morning kung-fu only with white teenagers. The teenagers were sneaking around a farm in the middle of the night and, before I knew it, one of them was slaughtering a pig with what appeared to be a sledge hammer. I was horrified but couldn't look away. They were killing the pig to get it's blood in order to dump it later on Sissy Spacek at their highschool prom. I proceeded to watch the rest of the 70's horror classic Carrie, regretting every minute of it like a fat man devouring his child's birthday cake.

By the time it was over I was almost too scared to breath. I turned the TV off and suddenly the basement looked absolutely cavernous. I was convinced that Carrie's mother was waiting for me on the stairs, making the sign of the crucifix over and over with a carving knife. It's an uncanny feeling to be scared out of your wits on a bright and sunny tuesday afternoon.

In fits and spurts of sheer courage I managed to make it upstairs from the basement. I changed out of my pajamas, put on regular clothes, and hightailed it up town to the pizza parlor. Even though I had a temprature and even though I had no business doing it, I had to get out of that big, empty house and around people that I knew didn't want to kill me.

If there was a supernatural aspect to that day it was that television censors in the mid-eighties could allow a movie like Carrie to show in the middle of the afternoon with only the bad language taken out. I have since been exposed to Eminem's lyrics, as well as Janet's nipple, but none of it has come near to warping my mind like the first time I saw this-

Thanks for nothing, Standards and Practices.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Movies can scare the bejesus out of you. I first saw The Birds at about the same age. I was scared to death to go to bed for something like a month -- I was always afraid I'd see that bird-pecked body propped against the wall between my twin beds.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

For real. My cousin has a story about sneaking out to go see the Exorcist when she was a kid. She was happy to get busted when she got home.

Thanks for reminding me of the word "bejusus". It's a classic.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Great story you told. I totally remember feeling that way when I saw Poltergeist. Whenever out t.v. bugs out, I always think of it. ~Shudder~

Growing up, I had a Stephen King period, when I read a lot of his books, even though I typically hated scary things. I thought his writing was really funny and that he made a lot of points about society through the supernatural concepts in them. So I read a whole bunch of those books and scared the hell out of myself.

The two times in my life I was most scared for real, I was rendered soundless. I was so upset I could not make a sound when I tried to scream. That was the scariest part of it all. Me not talking. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahh. But seriously, it was so scary.

Lisa

6:55 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Lisa, rendered speechless? Perish the thought. Yeah, acutely terifying moments can paralyze you. Hysterics come once you start running away from the guy with the chainsaw.

I love Stephen King. Though notorious for weak finales (Spider at the end of "It"), you really have to admire his imagination.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?