Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Monday, October 16, 2006

A Better Mouse

Blowing my parents mind has become almost too easy. Myspace, Ipods, You Tube, Wikipedia--come to think of it, my mind has been thoroughly blown these past five years as well. The difference is that, while my parents admire and comprehend, for the most part, these recent developments of the on-line age, they have absolutely no interest in ever utilizing any of it. I don't blame them. Who needs a laser screen/music library to fit in your pocket, when you're still constantly struggling to work the DVD player? They've had one for five years and I still get this:

Dad- Allright, I've got it on channel three. That's the first thing!
Me- No, Dad you don't need to do that. Channel three was for VHS tapes.
Dad- Oh. Well, I've hit the menu button now and...

It's not that they're senile, it's that they don't really watch movies anymore. Hollywood, much like the internet, is not catering to people in their seventies. If I ever find my father on Myspace, I'll have a nervous breakdown.
I just like keeping them abreast of new technology. They still kick my ass in Jeopardy and I need things to make myself feel smart around them. But, like i said, it's becomming too easy to simply make them say "wow". I want to impress them with something they can use. That's why I've come up with this years Christmas gift: A wireless mouse!

Don't worry, I'm already patting myself on the back, for you. My parents may not be the most computer savy people around but they manage to use the thing everyday, without fail. For thirty bucks I can switch their surfing experience from Hundai to a Cadillac. They come out of it encouraged to continue exploring the web, and I come out looking like I spent way more money than actually have.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

That's a cool idea. I am so proud of my grandparents, they actually email me.

Both my parents found their current significant othes on dating websites. They know all kinds of tricks. It's pretty scary.

Lisa

3:46 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Excellent. My folks are still looking for the newfangled volume button on the radio. The magic talking box is about as much fun as they get.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Dating websites are a bold move. Technically easy to use but, but a bold step nonetheless.
It's great to see what my parents do pick up just by means of their own curiosity.

Dale-Wow. just the radio? When cordless phones first came out, my grandma would hold it like a walkie talkie and talk into the ear peice. It was adorable.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?