Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

How am I supposed to get any work done with Stayin' Alive playing in the background?

I'm kind of on the fence about the Bee-Gees but not about the song Stayin' Alive. It's an amazing dance track, with one of the top three bass grooves of all time. If you want to take your stiff-ass dreary cocktail party from zero to sixty in no time flat Stayin' Alive is the song that can make it happen.

So why is it playing on Sherryl from Finance's clock radio? It's like having a limbo contest at a wake. I've learned to tune-out the rest of her crappy lite-station music--Walking in Memphis, Forever Young (Rod Stewart, not Dylan) and whatever that calling all angels song is. Yuch! it all gives me heebie jeebies--but when such a righteous dance track comes on I get confused. I have to stop everything and reboot my brain.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

That is like the collision of two worlds when you hear awesome music during a boring event such as work. Disorienting. Did you refrain from discoing? That would be hard.


Lisa

1:06 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Have you ever heard the version of Stayin' Alive by N Trance? Strangely enough they also do a cover of a Rod Stewart song but it's that Do Ya Think I'm Sexy one.

6:10 PM  
Blogger barista brat said...

thanks to this post i now have "ah, ah, ah, ah stayin' alive! stayin' alive" swirling through my brain.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Lisa- The little John Travolta who lives in my head discos when it comes on. I go into a sort of trance and stare blankly at my unmoving shoes.

Dale-I've never of heard N Trance? Stayin' Alive is actually a tough cover to pull off successfully. I'll have to check it out. The sexy Rod song is always a home run.

Barista- Yeah, Stayin' Alive is insidiously catchy. What's the Seinfeld:
Jerry: Don't you know Robert Schumann, the composer?
George: Oh, Schumann. Of course.
Jerry: He went crazy from one note. He couldn't get it out of his head. I think it was an A.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said...

Very funny stuff. I like your blog. Whenever I hear Stayin' Alive I can't help but think of Travolta walking w/that can of paint!
-jw

3:27 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi nycbeauty,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the kind words. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never seen Saturday Night Fever all the way through. I've never seen Top Gun either. I'm a bad american.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

It's almost like a disco rap version with a sample of the BeeGees and the original backtrack. Not as scary as you might think and it makes you want to dance even if you don't normally.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I blame myself but here's the video which I'd never seen before now, it's pretty ridiculous but I love the girl who sings the 'step to the side, you'd better run and hide' part.

6:55 PM  
Blogger nouseforaname said...

Ohhh Night Fever is one of my all time fave songs- sort of a guilty pleasure, everytime I hear it I imaging myself disco dancing, with the flowing dress and all the light glaring down at me....

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?