Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Monday, August 14, 2006

There is a crack in everything

In my senior year of highschool I experienced the near total breakdown of my signature. I owe it to the fact that I was applying to colleges. Up until that point all I ever had to sign was math homework and birthday cards, nothing as imposing as a loan application. Aside from the weighty matter of the documents, the sheer volume of dotted lines was overwhelming.

I think it sarted when I found myself unable to decide when in the sequence of signing I was supposed to cross the "t" in Peter. After the r or before the second e? This sudden feeling of amnesia made me anxious which caused my hand to spazz.

What I didn't realize was that my understanding of what a signature was was changing. A signature is ones mark. It need only be partially legible, if at all. The important thing is that it be yours.

The "eter" of Peter was just a mess of tangled loops at the end. I remember feeling real panic about it. Of course, once I gave up on my signature ever being readable again, it became beautiful.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Wow, I can totally relate to this post. Just when I got my signature down to a science, I decided to change my name when I got married. The first time I had to sign my new name i was like a grade schooler writing a perfect, loopy G-O-L-D-S-T-E-I-N. It lacked distinction, character. I felt awful about it. I STILL don't have it down four years later.

Your signature is kickass. Love the heart thingee on the bottom.

Lisa

1:05 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Hey, that's the signature I've been using. One of us is going to have some 'splaining to do.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Actually folks, I have to confess, that signature isn't mine. I lifted it from google.

Dale, you have wonderfully elegant handwritin and some scoundrel out there is stealing it!

Lisa, is the "o-l-d" portion the hardest? It's those consecutive loops that screw evertyhing up. I hope your husband is understanding.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?