Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Here's a Good Reason to not Have Kids


These are called Heelys and by some small miracle they have not yet been the subject of a massive, nation wide, class action lawsuit. The idea behind Heelys, I'm assuming, is that kids don't fall enough and what they need is a virtual banana peel in the heel of each shoe to knock them on their ass whenever their not paying attention.

I encountered these roller-shoes on friday, the day after Thanksgiving, at a crowded pizzeria up the block. I watched as four or five normal looking little girls went from table to table without moving their legs. The reason, I concluded, behind their ability to float was that they were the undead. That was fine with me, so I went back to eating my pizza.

I soon realized that they were sporting roller skate wheels in the heels of their sneakers when a not-so-graceful one of the brood attempted to negotiate the steps leading outside. She didn't fall, but her shaky legs and the fact that she had to clutch the hand rail, belied any pretense of supernatural forces at work.

So, now I'm jealous. This is one hell of a toy! This picture of 25-year old fashion models posing as 15-year old normal people gives me reason to beleive that Heelys may be shooting for an older, albeit female, demographic. Why girls only? Are Heelys just inherently gay? Are they a physical manifestation the phrase "light in the loafers"? I hope not, if for no other reason than I'd like to have the option of being pushed around like a living hand truck whenever the mood strikes.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Oh, hell no! I think we should all get them. Those of us who are in our late middle ages (um, that's moi) could use some help navigating the malls this holiday season.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Right Beth, it's time the adults get carted around some.

Marina-Thanks for stopping by! If you could mail Beth and I a couple pairs of Heelys from your french, shoe blog we'd be more than happy to give you shout outs on our respective non-shoe blogs. Thanks

4:44 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Is it wrong that I want to be pushed around in a large stroller? I'm too lazy for the heelys but see them on the kids everywhere!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Dale- So they have Heelys in Canda as well? Awesome. I think the large stroller you're referring to is called a "wheelchair" only with no bedding or canopy. It's really a poor substitute.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Wow, and I thought walking was the last activity you could do without needing a helmet.

I have seen those too and they look very dangerous.

I laughed out loud at your undead line. Very funny post.


Lisa

12:08 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Noooo, I want a cushy stroller for now and someone to push, wheelchair comes later, or maybe I'll get a government scooter!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

"Government scooter"-awesome!

I forgot about those. I think in the states they're called haliburton scooters and they cost four billion dollars.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?