Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Test Run/Carol of the Bells

Have you switched to the "new blogger beta" thing? It's basically just a big ad for Google but it's got some neat features. I just switched myself. Let's do a test run, shall we?

For fifty points: What Christmas carol sounds like a charging horde of bloodthirsty pagans sacking a village? That's right, it's...

Carol of the Bells

Hark hear the bells sweet silver
bells
all seem to say throw cares
away
Christmas is here bringing good
cheer
to young and old meek and the
bold
All season long bringing their
song
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas
(Merry Christmas)Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas (Merry Christmas)...
Apparently, the tune was adapted from a Ukranian folk song in the 1920's so highfalutin American choirs could could scare the bejeezus out of everybody. It sounds, to me, like the composition of some depressed teenage prince trying to spite his parents, and in a moment of extreme passive aggressive sarcasm the King decreed it a "glorious song of peace" to be sung every Christmas season.
Other things it reminds me of:
  1. Footage of the Luftwaffe descending on London.
  2. "You Are My Sunshine" lyrics set to the Jaws theme.
  3. I don't have a third example. I just needed an excuse to test out the "list " function.

So, that concludes the maiden voyage of the new and improved blogger.com

Different fonts, sizes and styles...it's pretty cool, right?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Very cool!

Lisa

I think You are my Sunshine should always be sung to the Jaws theme. It's a verrrrrry sad song when you listen to the lyrics.

Clementine is very hauting lyrics-wise yet it is usually set to this happy little tune. So weird. I heard an artist, Merrie Amsterburg, whom i looooooove, do a cover of Clementine put to the appropriate gloomy tone and it was devestatingly awesome. Sorry, tangent.

Lisa

12:14 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

All tangents are welcome!

I've heard a dark, minor key, version of "You are my Sunshine", but not "Clementine". I'll have to check that out. Yeah, those are "high-lonesome" cowboy songs when you take the words alone.

Marrie Amsterburg? I'll check it out. =)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Blogger won't let me switch yet and may have something to do with my photo blog.

I laughed at your post but have to say I love Carol of the Bells.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Dale- The switch isn't anything special. In fact, they make you pick all new sign in info. Booo.

Yeah, Carol of the Bells. It's not that I think it's poorly written or anything. The tune is just so incongruous with the lyrics and...peace.

Would you agree that the best Christmas song is OH HOLY NIGHT?

How 'bout it?

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?