Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Tom Waits Interviews

I've been working away on the Road to Peace portion of my recently publicized, up-comming post about Tom Waits. Unfortunately, just when I think I know what the hell I'm talking about, it keeps getting away from me . There are too many blind alleys, and it's gotten so bad that I've begun referencing Marshall Mcluhan.

WOODY ALLEN: You don't know anything about Marshall McLuhan's work.

ME: You're so right, Woody.(sigh)

But I haven't given up. So, in the meantime, I'll do the easy part:

Tom Waits has been going on Letterman for years. Dave knows he's one of the best songwriters on the planet and I'm sure he is admiring of him as an artist. But a big part of Tom Waits' art is his humor. He's the rare hybrid of a high-brow artist who is also a total ham. Dave knows this and is more than happy to play the straight man giggling at the funny old hobo telling tall tales.

When the subject of children came up in one of their interviews Waits explained how his kids learned "never to ask Dad to help you with your homework." (History homework in particular.)

LETTERMAN: Why's that Tom?

TOM: Hmmm...I think I made up a war once.

Can't you just picture Tom Waits telling his 8th grade son about the ferocious battle of 860 b.c., when the mighty Byzantian Huns rode atop fire breathing wolf-hounds ...etc.?

Like any good East Coat Liberal, I have an unhealthy, man-crush on John Stewart and everything associated with The Daily Show. So, it's with reluctance that I say he squandered his short time with Tom Waits by being too much of a fan. He did it with Neil Young too, but that time it was ok because Neil, while genial and articulate, isn't all that funny. Whatever.

I'm sure everyone over at the Daily Show is reading this and scrambling to rework the format of the show. Don't worry about it guys. I'll be happy to do some freelance consulting after the holidays. I've just been swamped lately.


This guy is funny?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

I too have an unhealthy mancrush on Jon Stewart. Wish I had seen the interview. Looked for it on YouTube but alas....

I am going to get my husband the Tom Waits album...

Lisa

5:13 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I use "mancrush" loosely. It's one of my favorite new words (terms?).

Your husband is psyched. It's a really good album.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?