Daydream Vaccination

Combat the ravages of daydreaming. Take one a day or as needed.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Memorial Day Parade: What a Grand Cadence

Doesn't it sound march-y: "The Memorial Day Parade" sis-boom-bang!

Anyway,
Memorial Day made me think about the parade they continue to hold in my home town every year. I was a Cub Scout the first time I marched. Comming off of a very respectable third place finish in the soap box derby and my with Cub Scout uniform fairly loaded up with bright, crisp merit badges, I felt I had earned my position.

The magic began to fade a few years later though when I realized that kids were tossed into the parade for doing next to nothing. The Police Athletic League baseball team I was on was in dead last when we marched that year. Only about half of us had the proper, thick, polyster team uniform on, the rest improvised with the closest-to- sky-blue-tee-shirts they could find. Somewhere along the parade route it hit me what a cheesy photo-op it all was and how, well past the "precious" years (5-10), I was wasting mine and everyone elses time. Better just to tip out and go scam chicks.

It was tradition for each highschool class to build a float for the Memorial Day Parade. Maybe because it was the official year of grunge rock, or maybe because we were just ill tempered teens, me and my gang of savage seniors had nothing on our minds but sabotage. Our greatest Animal House-esque plans were formulated in vans and garages over bong hits and cheap kegs. It is both a blessing and a shame that we all liked the sound of our own voices, and the thrill of beer and marijuana, too much to ever actually try most of the things we planned that year.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Red Queen said...

Better to tip out and scam chicks- huhm. Well I can totally be scammed with cheap warm beer and half-assed plans of world domination.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Just an aside-

"scamming chicks" was what we called it back in junior high.Let it be known I would never say something so ridiculous now.

Red Queen, we really should take over the world. I've been meaning to talk to you about it.

5:21 PM  
Blogger The Red Queen said...

I would be the best benevolent dictator in history and I could always use a right hand man.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Who says you get to be dictator?!? We're still in the house here. You can't call shot-gun till you get outside!

And I'd be no good as right hand man. The rackets and child labor camps would be up and running before our first week anniversary.

6:02 PM  
Blogger The Red Queen said...

uhm- it's red QUEEN for a reason. I'll totally arm wrestle you for world dominance though.

As for child labor camps- I'm old school. Let the little rugrats contribute to society just as soon as their fingers can tie knots.

6:34 PM  
Blogger The Red Queen said...

What is this I read of roller coasters? Must know more....

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

Peter

Who links to me?